My opinions. My stories. My life in my words. By reading this, you agree to not hold information contained within against the author or publisher of this blog in Civil, Federal, or Military Courts.

27 March 2007

Just when I thought I was out...they pull me right back in

I'm sorry it's been a couple of weeks since my last post. Work has been rough lately. For those of you that have read this regularly, some of the previous issues have resurfaced.

Last week, I had to formally counsel my Airman (in the Air Force, that means I threatened his career with negative paperwork) for insubordination, and displaying a negative attitude. That took a lot out of me, and I felt so bad that I had failed to give him a good role model, that I had a cigarette. I know, I'm sorry, I broke my resolution, and pact with my Dad. I'm sorry.

The rest of that week, was simply filled with work, and being busy every single day. At last Friday came, and I had the weekend to relax...
Or did I???

I got a call on Friday, after I'd already left for the day, telling me I HAD to be on a news shoot Sunday at 5:30 in the morning, and that it would last all day. Upset, but knowing that the mission has to get done, I accepted my fate, and went on the shoot. Sunday started at 5:30am, and ended at 7:30pm. But, I was promised a day off, for having to work on my weekend.

Then, Monday, my boss (the one I've discussed previously in this forum) decided that, since I hadn't worked on a weekend in a while, that I didn't deserve a day off, and promptly took it away.
She also told me that the leave I requested was denied, because she "really needed bodies" to perform the job ( I had asked for an extra week off to get my out processing done before I leave).
So, not only was I not going to get my time back, I wasn't going to get the time I asked for either...BUT...sometimes that's how life goes, the job needs to get done, and sometimes you have to bite your lip, and do it.
So that was Monday.
Oh, I have to mention, that I failed to do a story, due to the business I mentioned before. In doing so, I further incurred the wrath of my boss.
See, the shoot I did on Sunday, well, it was due next Wednesday, so I'd have time to do it, and do it well, given my schedule. WELL! Since I dropped a story (the FIRST since I've been here), she moved my deadline to Wednesday
THIS Wednesday.
That wouldn't be so bad, I mean, I'd have Tuesday and Wednesday to get it done, minimal stress, and maximum work, right? Wrong! I found out Monday afternoon, right before going home for the day (see a trend?) that I had another shoot on Tuesday. THIS shoot would leave at 6:00am, and not return until 6:00pm. Because it's an order, I have to do it. But that leaves me with only a day to do the news story I shot on Sunday. Oh yeah, the story I did today (Tuesday) is due Thursday. So, I have a day to put together one story, and then the next day to put together the one from today.
I'm not complaining about the deadlines. Would it have been nice to have some time to put together a nice product? Yes. But, I can put together something that resembles a news story in a day, and speed it along for the mission's sake. Then do the same thing the next day.
What's really miffing me, is that this person, who says she is all about people, and wants everyone to have personal time away from work, is not compensating those of us that spend our personal time DOING work. Remember when I used to stay late every night just to meet a deadline? Well, tomorrow might be one of these days. She will yell at me if I don't go home at the end of the duty day. But, if the story ISN'T DONE, she'd yell at me for not getting it done. So, hypocrisy rears it's head again. it only happens in the News department. It's one of the reasons my posts have not been about work as of late, because I haven't been forced back into that world of high stress and no reward...until now.

So, today, I talked with one of my coworkers (he's the one that she made move my deadlines) and told him I quit. That's right, Ladies and Gentlemen, I QUIT! I will no longer put out great news products while I'm in Korea. I WILL do my job,. and I will tell the news story I was sent out to gather video for. But, it won't be spectacular. I've long held a tradition of excellence and pride in my work, but no more...enough's enough. If my boss takes no pride in my work, and readily cuts me down at every chance, why do I bother putting out my best effort, just to make her look good. I will continue to serve as a visible example of excellence for the junior troops to behold, but my work will suffer. I've said it before (look about 6 months ago in this very blog...I had to get a semi-serious injury for things to change), and I'm saying it again. I quit. No more late nights, no more beating myself up to meet deadlines. As far as I'm concerned, the rest of my time at AFN Korea, is just a part-time job. They can write paperwork on me, counsel me the way I had to counsel my Airman, they can even threaten to end my career. I no longer care what this boss thinks.
I leave for Germany in 35 days.
She can kiss my A$$ until then.

- - - -

For those younger audience members out there, or for my family and friends that aren't yet into a career...let me say this. I do not condone not doing what you're told. In fact, I don't condone "just doing your job." You can only shine, if you turn up the juice. But, if the people in charge of you are constantly dumping their dirt on you, even as you try to appease them, and make them happy, maybe that's not the job for you. It might just be that boss...there isn't a person reading this, that has gotten along with every boss they've ever had, and the job may be great (in my case, it's one of my passions), but one bad boss can sour how you feel about the job. So, if that's the case, look hard within yourself, and ask if it's something you should put up with, or if there are other things, or places, the could go to.

After all, the colonists only put up with so much...
More tea, your Majesty?




ULI

1 comment:

asemtap said...

Hang in there kiddo, remember our motto, "You can do anything for a year!" and you're 35 days short. Do the JOB, no more, no less. Mark the days off on the calendar, let them see just how soon they'll be loosing one of the best.

Hugs & more,
M~

Blog Archive