Okay, I have a lot to post about this time around.
First, work is okay, even though it's my first official week and I'm already getting talked down to over things I don't know about. The other day I finally got a computer, and well, I'll let you read for yourself what the problem was. I wrote this immediately after the things went down.
>
>
Okay, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. I just got set up on a computer at work, and immediately, I received an email telling me about a news shoot I will have to do and produce in a couple of weeks. That's not bad, but it would have been nice to have someone tell me about it, rather than receive a cold email. The shoot itself is not mine to do, but is an attachment to another Air Force broadcaster's story, so I'm shooting video and creating a story as a follow-up to hers.
Actually, what got me down in the first place, was my radio spot being deleted before it was finished. I have been working on radio spots for the detachment, but not having a computer, I've been depending on others to view my products. I was 95% done with my radio spot (that realistically only took me about a half-hour to produce) and I only needed one more person to voice on it, so I left the spot up in the production studio and went looking for a voicer. Once I found one, I headed back down to the studio, only to find that someone else had gone in just before I could, and closed my project without saving it. When I asked the individual if he had saved my project, he told me, no, and that he usually just closes everything that's open. I guess we can call it a learning experience, but it struck me as a personal blow, seeing as I had no way of saving it.
So now I'm at work, and have my email and network up and running, and I wonder how soon I'm going to lose my enthusiasm. I actually had to go out for a smoke to resettle my emotions, and now I'm writing this as a way to get it off my chest and into the ether. I'm not feeling better, but at least now I can go back to work and restart the process.
>
>
So, that's what was on my mind earlier this week. It just struck me as odd that there is no regard for the work of others here. I guess I'll get used to it, or learn how to overcome it.
I also got to shoot an in-studio interview with Christian Music legend, Steven Curtis Chapman. The shoot went well, and he even debuted a song for the American troops fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. If I can figure out how, I'll post the entire song on my blogger. But the interview wasn't the problem. See, all the video equipment here, is stored in one little room, which is locked to protect against theft. There is but one key to this room, and when I got it to get my stuff ready for the interview shoot, I held onto it so I wouldn't lose it. Once I finished up the shoot, I returned the key, and was berated for not turning it back in sooner. It seems someone else needed the key, and couldn't find it (one would think the person in charge of holding the key would remember that I had taken it from him, but I guess that's asking too much). I got yelled at a little. I didn't care, I had stuff to do.
Later that same day, the bosses in charge of my section had (what they thought was) a good idea. Everyone who PCS's into Yongsan has to go to a mandatory "Newcomer Briefing" for a couple of days, just to get information on the base and surrounding areas. I will be attending this class this coming Monday - Wednesday. Well, when the bosses found out I was going to the class, they thought it would be a good idea if I took a news camera and made a news story and spot on the classes WHILE I'M SUPPOSED TO BE LEARNING IN THE CLASS. I guess I can see their side of it, I mean, I'm a good reporter/shooter, and I'm going to be there anyway. I think logic got in the way of clear thinking (I know, I'm usually a logical person, and I think that's why I agreed to do it) and they didn't see the problem with me shooting it. So when they told me to do it, I kind of hesitated, and made it seem like I didn't understand what they wanted. Then, once they ASKED me if I could do it, I agreed. They (I use the word "they" to mean my supervisor and his supervisor) will do well to learn that you will get things done if you tell me to do something, but if you ask me, I'm usually more willing to do a task. I know, "you joined the military, people don't have to ask," but when they do, it makes me feel more involved personally.
So, I have two projects to finish up by the end of the weekend, and then Monday, I have to shoot the Newcomer Briefing. Sure it's a lot of work, but nothing I can't handle. I'm a Staff Sergeant now, and I can handle an increased workload (at least that's what I'm supposed to think anyway) :)
- - - -
A couple of the guys I work with asked me if I want to go outside the gate tonight. I think I'll go, but I don't really know what I'll do. I don't really drink anymore, and that's their whole plan. Maybe I can go to be seen as, "one of the guys." That, or I'll learn more about these folks, and learn how to approach each person, and how to talk to them to get what I need/want rom them workwise. I find it easier to talk to people if you know what they need to hear.
- - - -
Sunday is Mother's Day. In my family, that means a quick email to say Happy Mom's Day, but we don't really celebrate it because it brings tears to my Mom's eyes. Don't ask, those that know - know why.
My opinions. My stories. My life in my words. By reading this, you agree to not hold information contained within against the author or publisher of this blog in Civil, Federal, or Military Courts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
►
2012
(1)
- ► 01/08 - 01/15 (1)
-
►
2011
(10)
- ► 08/28 - 09/04 (1)
- ► 07/24 - 07/31 (1)
- ► 05/29 - 06/05 (2)
- ► 05/22 - 05/29 (1)
- ► 04/17 - 04/24 (1)
- ► 03/20 - 03/27 (2)
- ► 01/16 - 01/23 (1)
- ► 01/02 - 01/09 (1)
-
►
2010
(19)
- ► 12/26 - 01/02 (1)
- ► 12/19 - 12/26 (1)
- ► 11/07 - 11/14 (1)
- ► 08/22 - 08/29 (1)
- ► 08/01 - 08/08 (1)
- ► 07/18 - 07/25 (1)
- ► 07/04 - 07/11 (1)
- ► 06/27 - 07/04 (1)
- ► 06/06 - 06/13 (1)
- ► 05/09 - 05/16 (1)
- ► 04/25 - 05/02 (1)
- ► 04/11 - 04/18 (1)
- ► 03/28 - 04/04 (1)
- ► 03/07 - 03/14 (1)
- ► 02/14 - 02/21 (1)
- ► 02/07 - 02/14 (2)
- ► 01/31 - 02/07 (1)
- ► 01/10 - 01/17 (1)
-
►
2009
(15)
- ► 12/27 - 01/03 (1)
- ► 12/20 - 12/27 (1)
- ► 11/29 - 12/06 (1)
- ► 11/15 - 11/22 (1)
- ► 11/01 - 11/08 (1)
- ► 10/25 - 11/01 (1)
- ► 08/16 - 08/23 (1)
- ► 08/02 - 08/09 (1)
- ► 06/14 - 06/21 (1)
- ► 05/31 - 06/07 (1)
- ► 05/03 - 05/10 (1)
- ► 04/12 - 04/19 (1)
- ► 03/22 - 03/29 (1)
- ► 03/01 - 03/08 (1)
- ► 01/11 - 01/18 (1)
-
►
2008
(51)
- ► 12/28 - 01/04 (1)
- ► 12/14 - 12/21 (1)
- ► 12/07 - 12/14 (1)
- ► 11/30 - 12/07 (1)
- ► 11/23 - 11/30 (2)
- ► 11/16 - 11/23 (1)
- ► 11/09 - 11/16 (1)
- ► 11/02 - 11/09 (2)
- ► 10/12 - 10/19 (1)
- ► 10/05 - 10/12 (1)
- ► 09/28 - 10/05 (2)
- ► 09/21 - 09/28 (1)
- ► 09/07 - 09/14 (2)
- ► 08/31 - 09/07 (1)
- ► 08/24 - 08/31 (2)
- ► 08/17 - 08/24 (1)
- ► 08/10 - 08/17 (2)
- ► 08/03 - 08/10 (2)
- ► 07/27 - 08/03 (3)
- ► 07/20 - 07/27 (3)
- ► 07/06 - 07/13 (4)
- ► 06/29 - 07/06 (3)
- ► 06/22 - 06/29 (2)
- ► 06/15 - 06/22 (1)
- ► 06/01 - 06/08 (1)
- ► 05/25 - 06/01 (1)
- ► 05/18 - 05/25 (2)
- ► 05/11 - 05/18 (1)
- ► 05/04 - 05/11 (1)
- ► 04/27 - 05/04 (3)
- ► 04/20 - 04/27 (1)
-
►
2007
(37)
- ► 11/04 - 11/11 (1)
- ► 10/07 - 10/14 (1)
- ► 09/09 - 09/16 (1)
- ► 09/02 - 09/09 (1)
- ► 08/26 - 09/02 (1)
- ► 08/19 - 08/26 (1)
- ► 08/12 - 08/19 (1)
- ► 08/05 - 08/12 (1)
- ► 07/29 - 08/05 (1)
- ► 07/22 - 07/29 (1)
- ► 07/08 - 07/15 (1)
- ► 07/01 - 07/08 (1)
- ► 06/17 - 06/24 (1)
- ► 06/10 - 06/17 (2)
- ► 06/03 - 06/10 (1)
- ► 05/27 - 06/03 (1)
- ► 05/13 - 05/20 (1)
- ► 04/15 - 04/22 (1)
- ► 04/08 - 04/15 (2)
- ► 03/25 - 04/01 (1)
- ► 03/11 - 03/18 (3)
- ► 03/04 - 03/11 (2)
- ► 02/25 - 03/04 (2)
- ► 02/18 - 02/25 (1)
- ► 02/11 - 02/18 (1)
- ► 02/04 - 02/11 (1)
- ► 01/28 - 02/04 (1)
- ► 01/21 - 01/28 (1)
- ► 01/14 - 01/21 (1)
- ► 01/07 - 01/14 (2)
-
▼
2006
(73)
- ► 12/31 - 01/07 (4)
- ► 12/24 - 12/31 (1)
- ► 12/17 - 12/24 (2)
- ► 12/10 - 12/17 (1)
- ► 12/03 - 12/10 (3)
- ► 11/26 - 12/03 (1)
- ► 11/19 - 11/26 (1)
- ► 11/12 - 11/19 (1)
- ► 11/05 - 11/12 (1)
- ► 10/29 - 11/05 (1)
- ► 10/22 - 10/29 (2)
- ► 10/15 - 10/22 (1)
- ► 10/08 - 10/15 (2)
- ► 10/01 - 10/08 (2)
- ► 09/24 - 10/01 (3)
- ► 09/10 - 09/17 (1)
- ► 08/13 - 08/20 (1)
- ► 07/30 - 08/06 (1)
- ► 07/16 - 07/23 (2)
- ► 07/09 - 07/16 (2)
- ► 06/25 - 07/02 (1)
- ► 06/18 - 06/25 (1)
- ► 06/04 - 06/11 (1)
- ► 05/28 - 06/04 (2)
- ► 05/21 - 05/28 (1)
- ► 05/07 - 05/14 (1)
- ► 04/30 - 05/07 (2)
- ► 04/23 - 04/30 (3)
- ► 04/09 - 04/16 (3)
- ► 04/02 - 04/09 (3)
- ► 03/26 - 04/02 (2)
- ► 03/19 - 03/26 (2)
- ► 03/12 - 03/19 (3)
- ► 03/05 - 03/12 (3)
- ► 02/26 - 03/05 (3)
- ► 02/19 - 02/26 (3)
- ► 02/12 - 02/19 (2)
- ► 02/05 - 02/12 (2)
1 comment:
Got no X, but then I guess you'd figure I'd read this. Just keep working, doing your job and staying out of trouble. Don't assume anything. Like the key business, if you have to ask for it , then also ask the who, what,where and when of it. Do a Klink, "I Know Nothing" gig.
Post a Comment