
WHO LOVES YA, BABY!
Well, here it is. I made a bet about 13 years ago, that the Indianapolis Colts would NEVER win a Superbowl...in fact, if they did, I'd shave my head the next day. Well, thanks to the 2006-2007 Indianapolis Colts...today was that day!
I had discussed this "bet" on my radio show, since the Colts made it to the Big Game a couple of weeks ago, and it opened up a storm of phone calls and jokes from my fellow deejays. We talked about it openly on the air, as game day grew closer, and eventually, we started a buzz all over our listening audiance. Well, as you know, the Colts DID in fact, win Superbowl XLI - and as a man of my word - I agreed to shave my head, LIVE on broadcast radio. Well, that's not exactly true, I agreed to...get this...let the afternoon dj do it for me!
So, my hair (once a source of pride and protectiveness) would get shaved off, for the second time in my life.

The following is a quick glimpse into the events that followed.
4:30 p.m. - I enter the studio, and prepare for my date with destiny.

5:00 p.m. - The afternoon dj announces it's time to "collect" on the long-overdue bet. Crowds gather at every window and door to the studio.


5:10 p.m. - The sound of clippers, followed by hair falling in front of my face. There's no turning back now.


5:20 p.m. - We pause for a music break. The afternoon dj is proud of his "Mr. T" masterpiece. Me, not so much! Of course, we're all joking and laughing , because the first rule is, HAVE FUN!The News team is on hand to make a story out of the hilarity.


5:30 p.m. - Back to cutting. Audience members call in to get their jabs in (mostly Colts fans, and band wagon jumpers, but some regular listeners chime in just to get their 2 cents heard). I look at a tuft of hair, thinking, "is my integrity worth all this?" YES!

5:40 p.m. - Another pause for station identification. Away goes the mohawk, and all that's left is the little tuft of bangs. I threaten to choke the next person who calls me "baldy." Two coworkers test me on that.

5:45 p.m. - Some guests of the show want to get involved. The more the merrier! One Korean girl cut the little curly lock in the front, then screamed and ran away after it disappeared into the pool on the floor. After that, a fellow AFN-er finishes off the leftovers.

5:50 p.m. - We're almost done. It feels a little cooler, so I ask to see what I look like. "What have you done?!?!?!?" HA HA!
5:55 p.m. - The last stroke of the razor complete, and I emerge, changed, yet somehow still smiling...the things I do for ratings. I don't think I 'll keep the look for too long, though.
6:00 p.m. - Here's the new me. Let no one say, I'm not a man of my word...even if that word was a lifetime ago.

WHO LOVES YA, BABY!!
3 comments:
and i am not there to rub your head. how sad. love you
WOOT!!!
i am so sending this entry into Ellen.
it don't look so bad either.
hugs, A.
It's so good to SEE you again, even if it is just a picture. You look fabulous, dah-link!
Post a Comment