Today an Airman became an NCO.
Without divulging the facts, it will be hard to explain this, but I will do my best.
I had to have a little chat with one of the Airmen I work with, about the values of the Air Force, and the importance of following orders this morning. Last night, two of our Airmen decided it would be better to enjoy a little recreation, rather than attend a military honor ceremony. Prior to the ceremony, I asked them both to stop what they were doing, and get ready. They refused. I proceeded into my room to change into my uniform, and headed out again, only to see them still playing around. Again, I told them to stop what they were doing, and get ready. Then I went off to attend the ceremony (hoping they would follow soon after).
The ceremony came and went, but I never saw the two. So, at the conclusion, I headed back to the area we live in, only to find them still at play. Needless to say, I was more than a little upset by this. I asked them why they hadn't done what I had told them, and received no answer. So I told one of them (who works closely with me) to come see me this morning during my show - well before he was scheduled to clock in to work. I then took some time to blow off steam, before I said or did anything that would damage my integrity. I spoke with my supervisor about what had happened, and he gave me the authority to deal with the issue as I saw fit.
((I have often spoken of the leadership of others in this blog. In some cases, it is to praise those who have been an inspiration, like my parents, past supervisors, etc. In others, it has been to chastise those who have forgotten what leadership is, in lieu of the power and pride that comes with placing rank before duty. Now, it was my turn to face myself, my convictions, and find out what kind of leader I would become.))
I prayed about it, asking for wisdom. I thought about it, weighing my personal feelings with the facts of the case. Finally, I slept on it. I had the best night of sleep since I came to this country.
First thing in the morning, I got ready, went to work, and wrote down what I thought was a fair way to deal with the situation, including options for what actions to take with the Airman.
Eventually, it came time for our little chat. The opening would set the tone for the entire session.
I asked him if he knew why he had to come in, and he replied he did.
I asked him why that was, and he told me his offense.
I asked him why he chose the actions he did, and he told me his reasons.
And I listened. The most important thing I could do, was listen.
When he was finished, we talked about it: how he felt, how I felt, what was the right course to take, and why. About the Air Force core values, and why they are important - not only as Airmen, but how they translate to normal everyday life.
Then came the time to deliberate, and consider how to correct the problem. I would have been within my authority to enact any of the following:
1) Write an official letter of counselling
2) Cancel leave privileges
3) Temporarily suspend his ability to use the recreational facility
4) Alter his schedule so his free time would not coincide with the hours most people have off
5) have him write a letter*
6) Or a few more things not worth mentioning
I asked him what he would do, if he were in my position. We talked about it for a little while. Then I had to decide.
After weighing the facts alone - that is, the offense, his reasons for his actions, and the rules the military has regarding these kinds of things (NOT, contrary to some opinion, how my feelings came into play) I came to my conclusion. I chose...
...to proceed no further. That's right, he got off with a warning - and the promise that if anything like this happened again, he would have to suffer the penalty to the full extent the Uniform Code of Military Justice allows.
One of the reasons I chose this, was because of how he responded. His words, as well as his actions, told me that he knew he had done wrong. He expressed his regret; at both his actions, and how they relayed to me. It showed character, and maturity. And as many in leadership positions - and parents - can attest, having your subordinate know that they've disappointed you, can feel worse, and go further in correcting the situation, than any punishment you can come up with.
Then, to wrap up, we talked about the session.
I explained to him that I understood his reasons, but they were not for him to take up at that moment. How he should have come to me and discussed it prior to the time of the ceremony. About how it feels to be called in for counselling, and how it feels to tell someone to do something, and they figuratively "flip you the bird."
At the end, we shook hands in mutual respect, and let that be the end of our dealings with the issue. He then went home, and I continued on with my show(that I had put on hold for the duration of our talk).
And here's the good thing. Later that day, we were fine. Well, as fine as we could be. We talked and joked like coworkers do, and we did let the past be the past.
Time will tell if it made any impact, but I felt like a new chapter in my "NCOdom" had begun at that moment.
((I must give credit where it is due. My God, parents, teachers, former and current supervisors, Military Leadership Training, and Friends, all helped me with how I dealt with this situation. Some times during this, I felt as my parents must have felt when I let them down. At other times, I remembered what my first military supervisor told me about being a leader, not just a boss. Still in others, I recalled my past (from this blog even), and some stories my Friends told me about how their bosses dealt with them - and how it went horribly because of the tone set. I even thought of Vanessa, and how her past and current supervision has treated her, and how it has led her to where she is. Finally - though it should be firstly - I give praise to God, for granting me the peace of mind to be just but fair, and the patience to not speak in anger, but weigh all sides before taking actions that could have serious repercussions.))
- - - -
That is all for tonight. I tried to upload some photos this week, but the internet isn't cooperating. Maybe tomorrow,or next week.
- - - -
Halfway there today!!!!!! Three down, three to go!
- - - -
ULI
.
My opinions. My stories. My life in my words. By reading this, you agree to not hold information contained within against the author or publisher of this blog in Civil, Federal, or Military Courts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
►
2012
(1)
- ► 01/08 - 01/15 (1)
-
►
2011
(10)
- ► 08/28 - 09/04 (1)
- ► 07/24 - 07/31 (1)
- ► 05/29 - 06/05 (2)
- ► 05/22 - 05/29 (1)
- ► 04/17 - 04/24 (1)
- ► 03/20 - 03/27 (2)
- ► 01/16 - 01/23 (1)
- ► 01/02 - 01/09 (1)
-
►
2010
(19)
- ► 12/26 - 01/02 (1)
- ► 12/19 - 12/26 (1)
- ► 11/07 - 11/14 (1)
- ► 08/22 - 08/29 (1)
- ► 08/01 - 08/08 (1)
- ► 07/18 - 07/25 (1)
- ► 07/04 - 07/11 (1)
- ► 06/27 - 07/04 (1)
- ► 06/06 - 06/13 (1)
- ► 05/09 - 05/16 (1)
- ► 04/25 - 05/02 (1)
- ► 04/11 - 04/18 (1)
- ► 03/28 - 04/04 (1)
- ► 03/07 - 03/14 (1)
- ► 02/14 - 02/21 (1)
- ► 02/07 - 02/14 (2)
- ► 01/31 - 02/07 (1)
- ► 01/10 - 01/17 (1)
-
►
2009
(15)
- ► 12/27 - 01/03 (1)
- ► 12/20 - 12/27 (1)
- ► 11/29 - 12/06 (1)
- ► 11/15 - 11/22 (1)
- ► 11/01 - 11/08 (1)
- ► 10/25 - 11/01 (1)
- ► 08/16 - 08/23 (1)
- ► 08/02 - 08/09 (1)
- ► 06/14 - 06/21 (1)
- ► 05/31 - 06/07 (1)
- ► 05/03 - 05/10 (1)
- ► 04/12 - 04/19 (1)
- ► 03/22 - 03/29 (1)
- ► 03/01 - 03/08 (1)
- ► 01/11 - 01/18 (1)
-
▼
2008
(51)
- ► 12/28 - 01/04 (1)
- ► 12/14 - 12/21 (1)
- ► 12/07 - 12/14 (1)
- ► 11/30 - 12/07 (1)
- ► 11/23 - 11/30 (2)
- ► 11/16 - 11/23 (1)
- ► 11/09 - 11/16 (1)
- ► 11/02 - 11/09 (2)
- ► 10/12 - 10/19 (1)
- ► 10/05 - 10/12 (1)
- ► 09/21 - 09/28 (1)
- ► 09/07 - 09/14 (2)
- ► 08/31 - 09/07 (1)
- ► 08/24 - 08/31 (2)
- ► 08/17 - 08/24 (1)
- ► 08/10 - 08/17 (2)
- ► 08/03 - 08/10 (2)
- ► 07/27 - 08/03 (3)
- ► 07/20 - 07/27 (3)
- ► 07/06 - 07/13 (4)
- ► 06/29 - 07/06 (3)
- ► 06/22 - 06/29 (2)
- ► 06/15 - 06/22 (1)
- ► 06/01 - 06/08 (1)
- ► 05/25 - 06/01 (1)
- ► 05/18 - 05/25 (2)
- ► 05/11 - 05/18 (1)
- ► 05/04 - 05/11 (1)
- ► 04/27 - 05/04 (3)
- ► 04/20 - 04/27 (1)
-
►
2007
(37)
- ► 11/04 - 11/11 (1)
- ► 10/07 - 10/14 (1)
- ► 09/09 - 09/16 (1)
- ► 09/02 - 09/09 (1)
- ► 08/26 - 09/02 (1)
- ► 08/19 - 08/26 (1)
- ► 08/12 - 08/19 (1)
- ► 08/05 - 08/12 (1)
- ► 07/29 - 08/05 (1)
- ► 07/22 - 07/29 (1)
- ► 07/08 - 07/15 (1)
- ► 07/01 - 07/08 (1)
- ► 06/17 - 06/24 (1)
- ► 06/10 - 06/17 (2)
- ► 06/03 - 06/10 (1)
- ► 05/27 - 06/03 (1)
- ► 05/13 - 05/20 (1)
- ► 04/15 - 04/22 (1)
- ► 04/08 - 04/15 (2)
- ► 03/25 - 04/01 (1)
- ► 03/11 - 03/18 (3)
- ► 03/04 - 03/11 (2)
- ► 02/25 - 03/04 (2)
- ► 02/18 - 02/25 (1)
- ► 02/11 - 02/18 (1)
- ► 02/04 - 02/11 (1)
- ► 01/28 - 02/04 (1)
- ► 01/21 - 01/28 (1)
- ► 01/14 - 01/21 (1)
- ► 01/07 - 01/14 (2)
-
►
2006
(73)
- ► 12/31 - 01/07 (4)
- ► 12/24 - 12/31 (1)
- ► 12/17 - 12/24 (2)
- ► 12/10 - 12/17 (1)
- ► 12/03 - 12/10 (3)
- ► 11/26 - 12/03 (1)
- ► 11/19 - 11/26 (1)
- ► 11/12 - 11/19 (1)
- ► 11/05 - 11/12 (1)
- ► 10/29 - 11/05 (1)
- ► 10/22 - 10/29 (2)
- ► 10/15 - 10/22 (1)
- ► 10/08 - 10/15 (2)
- ► 10/01 - 10/08 (2)
- ► 09/24 - 10/01 (3)
- ► 09/10 - 09/17 (1)
- ► 08/13 - 08/20 (1)
- ► 07/30 - 08/06 (1)
- ► 07/16 - 07/23 (2)
- ► 07/09 - 07/16 (2)
- ► 06/25 - 07/02 (1)
- ► 06/18 - 06/25 (1)
- ► 06/04 - 06/11 (1)
- ► 05/28 - 06/04 (2)
- ► 05/21 - 05/28 (1)
- ► 05/14 - 05/21 (2)
- ► 05/07 - 05/14 (1)
- ► 04/30 - 05/07 (2)
- ► 04/23 - 04/30 (3)
- ► 04/09 - 04/16 (3)
- ► 04/02 - 04/09 (3)
- ► 03/26 - 04/02 (2)
- ► 03/19 - 03/26 (2)
- ► 03/12 - 03/19 (3)
- ► 03/05 - 03/12 (3)
- ► 02/26 - 03/05 (3)
- ► 02/19 - 02/26 (3)
- ► 02/12 - 02/19 (2)
- ► 02/05 - 02/12 (2)
No comments:
Post a Comment